Wednesday, September 15, 2010

 

An Anniversary? I CAN PAUSE!

It is National ADHD Awareness Week.


As I reflect on this, it is fitting that this week falls a year from the first time I heard David Giwerc speak about ADHD coaching. For those of you who don't know, David Giwerc, amongst many other things, he is the President of the ADD Coach Academy. I want to acknowledge that this man is one of the people who truly inspires me. Maybe someday I'll convince him to post his story here.

In simplest terms, my life will never be the same. As I write in this moment, my eyes fill with tears. They are tears of relief. They are tears of joy. Most of all, they are tears of hope.

After attending a conference on executive function in February of 2009, I discovered this "thing" called ADHD coaching. I told my friend and business partner, Allison, that I thought the concept sounded cool. We decided I'd check it out. It wasn't a big deal.

My first thorough introduction to ADHD coaching was a teleconference with David Giwerc. I was pretty skeptical. I mean who was he kidding? What kind of person signs up AND PAYS for a program after listening to an hour long teleconference? Well, apparently, I do. My thought was that it sounded different, it was organic and didn't break my bank. Honestly, it tugged at my intuition.

About three weeks into Basic ADHD I found myself faced squarely with the following epiphany:

TERRY, YOU HAVE ADHD !!!


My son had been diagnosed early in 2008. His dad has it. His dad's mom has it. My fiance has it (he's posted some great blogs here... btw). I was SURROUNDED! I also thought, "Okay, Terry, you're just overreacting."

The more I listened in class, the more I couldn't deny the overwhelming amount of missing pieces to my puzzle that began to fit.

I decided to sign up for the next class called Personal Transformation. I was STILL skeptical. I kept thinking, "Now that the basics are out of the way, they (the school) are going to pour on the fluffy stuff. This is the part where they sell me a bag of goods, right? I mean, come on, even the name of the class has whimsy!"

Do you think I was a little critical?

No matter how fluffy (or not) the content was during Personal Transformation, three critical points prevailed:

Pause.


NO... REALLY!



1. ~ PAUSE ~



2. What I believe shapes every perception of my world...



3. What I focus on grows...



And how are those 3 things serving me?




That's how...YAY!

I challenge you to pause.

About a year ago today, I paused for what might be the first time in my entire life. The truth of my inner story and limiting beliefs were revealed to me.

I promise you, I know what it's like to reach hopeless. I know what it means to wonder,

"Am okay...? What does it feel like to be okay?"

I know what its like to feel set adrift. I know what it's like to be waiting for my break, my pennies from heaven.

It is with sincere gratitude that I am declaring September 15th

Personal Pause Day!

I promise you, I now know what it's like to find "okay". I like it here. I plan to stay and explore a while. On second thought, I choose to stay.

If you or someone you know is struggling with ADHD, there is help and there is hope. The progress I have made in my own life is an example. Please call me.

~Your personal ADHD Coach, Terry Chausse



Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]